Why do we use argan oil?
I needed to come up with a way to make my tallow balm easier to apply. Initially it was just tallow, cocoa butter and essential oils, which gave me a product that I had to scoop/scrape out with the back of my nails and would crumble in my hands. Not the nicest, but as soon as it started to melt it was amazing so I knew I just needed to figure out how to modify it slightly.
I wanted to add a soft oil: something liquid at room temperature. Something light, that wouldn't clog pores. I started researching non-comedogenic (non-pore-clogging) plant oils, and found three options that had a comedogenic rating of zero on a scale of four: argan, safflower, sunflower and hemp. I quickly eliminated safflower and sunflower as they are members of the ragweed family and therefore have a high potential of being allergenic.
My favorite thing about my grass fed tallow / cocoa butter mix is that I can put it all over baby - even her hands - and never have to worry about it irritating her eyes or getting in her mouth. I wanted to make sure adding one of these oils didn't change that, so as soon as I got my argan oil and hemp oil, I rubbed a bit of each oil in my eyes. The results: I eliminated hemp oil and started working with the non-irritating argan oil.
Argan oil is an edible oil made from kernels found inside the fruit of argan trees, which are native to Morocco. Here is a snapshot of the overall health profile of argan oil from Skincare Ox:
- Oil Type: Carrier oil
- Smell: Odorless to a very light nutty aroma
- Color: Golden yellow
- Consistency: Thin, light, non-greasy
- Shelf Life: 2 years
- Best for Skin Types: dry skin, oily skin, combination skin, sensitive skin, aging skin
- Best for Skin Conditions: Eczema, psoriasis, acne, stretch marks, fine lines and wrinkles
- Pregnancy Safety: Safe for external use only during pregnancy.
- Fatty Acid Snapshot: Oleic acid (45%), Linoleic acid (35%), Palmitic acid (12%), Stearic acid (6%), Linolenic acid (.1%), Palmitoleic acid (.12%)
- Other Notable Compounds: Vitamin E, Vitamin A, Plant sterols, Ferulic acid
"20 Best Non-Comedogenic Organic Skin Care Oils For All Skin" https://www.skincareox.com/top-20-organic-skin-care-oils/
"How to use carrier oils" https://www.healthline.com/health/carrier-oil#argan-oil